The story of LE KLINT
The story of LE KLINT dates back to the beginning of the 20th century, when a hand pleated lamp shade was folded to fit a paraffin lamp both designed by architect and master of engineering P.V. Jensen-Klint.
A team of friends and family members worked hard to refine this new shade and in return, received one as a gift of gratitude for their time. In 1943 Tage Klint pioneered the LE KLINT family handicraft and pleating skills into a real business. He masterminded a new outstanding and decisive detail to the LE KLINT shades, which were then added, the elastic collar.
Kaare Klint was a well-known and respected architect, accomplished craftsman and designer. From the very beginning when the company was founded, LE KLINT benefited from Kaare Klint's astonishing talent. He created LK 101 (a pendant known as the Fruit Lantern) and LK 306 (a versatile table and wall lamp). Both lamps are still among the company's best-sellers today.
The Le Klint shop was established in 1943 in Copenhagen. Here the lamps were presented and sold in an inspiring surrounding. The shop was furnished with Kaare Klint originals and Rosentapet floral wall coverings designed by Gunnar Billmann Petersen which adorned the walls. This sophisticated décor allowed the white pleated lampshades to illuminate to perfection. Tage Klint’s daughter, Lise Le Charlotte Klint was the very first Le Klint Shop Manager.
In 1953, Jan Klint, Tage Klint's son, took control. He was a businessman, light years ahead of his time. In 1971, Jan Klint had a foundation set up to insure the future of the LE KLINT employees. It is still in effect today.
Since the 20th century, LE KLINT lamps are developed in cooperation with architects and designers who have great respect for our craftsmanship and traditions. We do our best to continually modernise our designs in accordance to today’s technologies and changing trends. The story of LE KLINT is not merely the story of a company, but also a reflection of the history of design and technology for more than one hundred years - a century during which LE KLINT has evolved into today's modern manufacturing company without compromising its integrity.